People often ask me who I get ideas and inspiration from when I am setting up a shot or planning a full shoot. In the coming weeks I hope to highlight some of the amazing artists that influence my work.

Today... I start with the legendary Annie Leibovitz.


Last week my good friend Marcy presented me with a gift. It was a book by Annie Leibovitz entitled, "American Music". Marcy told me she had been out, saw this book and thought, "This is truly the perfect gift for Paul." It was. This book combines two of my most favorite things in the world: music and photography. I strongly recommend this book. The shots are amazing!

I am always floored by the way Annie Leibovitz is able to bring life to her pictures. Whether it's a basic portrait of some famous performer or a high budgeted shoot for "Vanity Fair" or "Rolling Stone" magazine, each one of her photos have the ability to capture my attention as if to say, "You will look at me!" I have followed her work for years and look forward to seeing what ever she creates. In case you haven't noticed, I have also tried to copy some of her style and try to adapt it to my style (key word is TRY).

In "American Music" the shots are jaw dropping and powerful. The way she poses her subject, the location, the clothes, the props... each one is carefuly considered in preparation for the shot. I want to grow in this area. Though I may not be making the Leibovitz bucks I want to give every shot I take the level of care and dedication that she gives her pictures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment